• We have upgraded our forecasts for all regions in 2010.
• Our forecasts for 2011 have increased from 4.5% to 4.6%, but this now represents a mild slowdown from the unexpectedly strong 2010.
• Advertising has shrunk as a proportion of world GDP from 0.88% in 2007 to 0.75% in 2010. We do not expect this proportion to rise while debt, unemployment and austerity threaten the recovery.
• However, 2012 will be the strongest year of the upturn so far, with 5.4% growth, and growth rates of 6%+ are in prospect once advertisers regain confidence in the economy.
• Television and the internet did well in the downturn and will continue to win market share during the recovery. We predict television’s share to rise from 39.2% in 2009 to 41.6% in 2012, and the internet’s share to rise from 12.8% to 16.5% over the same period.
Full details of the latest ZenithOptimedia forecast can be found here.